Anyone can run 20 miles. It's the next six that count.
- Barry Magee

Sunday, July 12, 2009

A good start to training


Week 1 of training or 16 weeks to go.
That is how I feel about this week.
The Dublin City Marathon is the target race. Date 26-10-2009.

To say that this is my first week of my schedule sounds like I am just starting to run and considering the month of June has been nonstop races its not really a start but more a continuation. Probably too many races considering the Cork marathon was still in my legs. Anyway, it’s good to break up the training sometimes.

Monday started with a race in Co. Limerick. Dromcollogher 4 Mile Road Race. Handy for me as its only a 15 minutes drive for me. Makes a change. Nice race but wouldn’t be the fastest 4 mile around. Not really sure why as there are few hills but it’s one of those courses that takes it out of the legs. I think maybe the fact I had run 13 miles the day before had an effect also. (Never learn). The one big learning factor with this race for me was my splits. My first mile was 6:03. For me that is too fast. All the races in the last month have started like this and I always pay for it later in the race. Mile 2 was 6.37, mile 3 was 6:49 and mile 4 was 6:44. I think if I had held mile 1 to 6.20 I would have had a better finish. Anyway, something for me to work on.
http://www.runningahead.com/logs/6a63092905a443028c96bf08df4bd759/workouts/fb569d9da2164ef4bb9531d72217b798


Tuesday really was just a stretch the legs run. I wanted to keep some bit of life in the legs as the EMC 5k race was on Wednesday night. 4 miles easy.

Wednesday was race day again. This time it was a BHAA 'EMC' 5km road race in Ovens. BHAA are great for all the races they run. Great crowd for this race - 414 in total. So on to the race. I need to start learning to pace myself so plan is 6:20 per mile. Mile 1 6:19, Mile 2 6:17 and mile 3 6:43. Total 5k time was 19:59. I had hoped to run under 20 so happy with my time but the third mile was disappointing. A nice hill from 2.5 miles to 3 but that can’t be an excuse. Always hills so live with it. Anyway couple of miles warm down. Happy enough. At least I didn’t run like a mad man in the first mile. Makes a change.
http://www.runningahead.com/logs/6a63092905a443028c96bf08df4bd759/workouts/9d919d7c529f465898151ab1ca6ef86c

Thursday was just an easy recovery run. 5 miles. 7:13 pace.

Friday rest day.

Saturday despite feeling really lazy this morning I headed off to a place called Doneraile Park. Perfect place for running. Soft ground. Plenty of hills and lots of shelter when needed. The loop of the park is 3.5 miles. Anyway plan this morning was not to run fast but to run hills. Push the heart and see how I feel. 5 miles in total is what I did. First mile was relatively easy but from there the fun starts. There is a 235ft pull up for .8 of a mile. Really tough. Short run down the other side. I use this as recovery time and when at the bottom just turn and up we go again. This side of the hill is .4 of a mile but steeper. My first run up was difficult but I did both sides of the hill twice and the second time around did not feel so bad. Light run back to the car. I plan on increasing this week by week. Max HR was 176. Not bad but considering the hills I would have guessed over 180.

Lastly Sundays run. I always leave Sundays for long runs and usually with my local club - Mallow AC. Today was a little different. The Munster final was on today and with Tipperary playing I would have to go so my long run was early this morning by myself. Don’t really enjoy long ones by myself. 12.6 miles with an avg HR of 149. Pace was 7:44 per mile which is a bit fast maybe for a long run but that always happens when I do a long run by myself. Anyway that finishes my first week. I registered for the Marathon this week so no turning back.

Weekly mileage 40 in total.

1 comment:

  1. a solid weeks training - an on plan too - well done that's something I don't seem to be able to do!!

    ReplyDelete