Anyone can run 20 miles. It's the next six that count.
- Barry Magee

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Marathon report

Before it all seems like a distant memory I think I better scribble some thoughts about last Monday’s marathon.

Tapering had gone well but as I said in a previous post maybe 20 days was a bit much considering I had not gone over the 60 mile mark during my heaviest training period. Anyway that being said I was nice and relaxed for the race day.

If you had a wish for a particular type of weather then your wishes had come true – conditions were perfect. Had a good night’s sleep the night before. Up at 6am had muesli and bagel for breakfast. Headed off to the start of the race around 8:00 am. I always love the great buzz and atmosphere around the start area before the race kicks off.

In fairness to the organisers they had the time zone segregation down to a tee this year. I was in the under 3.5 hour section and I got off to a good start - I believe it took me just over 20 seconds to get over the start line. I think in a race of 12000+ that is brilliant. This year the race took off in the opposite direction to previous years but this had little effect really. I always find the first 2 miles a case of minding my step and keeping out of trouble.

This year rather than keeping track of my time based on every mile I ran I decided to write my target times in 4 mile intervals up to 20 miles and 3 mile intervals for the remainder on my inner arm to help keep my pace on track. Basically I would check my per mile pace at the mile marker but not be thinking on how much time has gone at each mile. It worked well for me and it’s something I think I will do again. During my first 4 mile section my pace was all over the place.

Mile 1 7:38, Mile 2 6:55, Mile 3 7:13 & Mile 4 7:00. Total time 28:47. 29:44 is what I had targeted on my arm. My average page was to be in the 7:20 to 7:25 range. Time to relax and steady myself. I think at this point I had started to fall into old habits. Mile 2 in particular was silly. I was feeling great through this period but was glad to see the start of the phoenix park at the 4 mile mark as I kinda feel that from there you start to get into your stride and the race proper.

Miles 4 to 8. Mile 5 6:58, Mile 6 7:12, Mile 7 7:25 & Mile 8 6:55. Total time 57:16. Target time at 8 miles was 59:29. Huston we have a problem but the big problem was not realising the problem at the time and fixing it. 2 minutes doesn’t sound like much in the large scheme of things but I think it affected me later. I found mile 4 to 8 enjoyable. My brother had come out to cheer me on around the 5.5 mile mark which I wasn’t expecting. Also I met Grellan who was flying it. Hadn’t met him before but always enjoy reading his blog. Strange to see people passing that you know how their training went but would have never had spoke to them. Breaks the journey a bit. Anyway on through the Phoenix park and the 8 mile mark is at the exit of the park. There is a down hill run to the exit gate so there is a great sense of invincibility as the legs are fresh.

Miles 8 to 12. Mile 9. 7:00, Mile 10, 7:20, Mile 11 7:06, Mile 12 7.25. Total time 1.26.07. Target time 1.29.14. Ok I am now hitting closer to my targeted time and it is not from tiredness in the legs. It is because of the fright at the 8 mile mark to be honest. I did tell myself to pull back on the pedal. In the back of my mind I was worrying if I had pushed it too far in the early stages. Time will tell I told myself and just said get on with it now.

Mile 12 to 16. Mile 13 7:33, Mile 14 7:18, Mile 15 7:14, Mile 16 7:37. Total time 1.55.49. Target time 1.58.59. Coming to the halfway point joined in with a couple of runners that were running around the 7:20 pace. This really suited me as I usually don’t like the 13 to 16 mile part of any marathon. After the water stop after the 15 mile mark I lost touch with them. My times were starting to suffer at this point but to be honest I felt good so I wasn’t 100% sure what the story was. I think I slowed down a lot when taking on water and a gel at this point.

Mile 16 to 20. Mile 17 7:21, Mile 18 7:15, Mile 19 7:45, Mile 20 8:11. Total time 2.26.21. Target time 2.28.44. I had got into a great rhythm between miles 16 up to the 19. Just before the 19 mile mark coming up to Milltown I felt my calf starting to cramp. It was on the pull up to the spar shop. It gave me a shock as I wasn’t expecting it at all. I should have expected it as I have not done a marathon yet where I haven’t cramped. The difference this time was that it wasn’t at the 23 mile mark like usual but 19 miles. Ahhhhh!!!. I slowed down my pace straight away and in the back of my mind told myself that the 3:15 would not be on the cards today. By the time I hit the 20 mile mark I was on target but it was not a real indication of how I was. In fact I was ahead of my target but I knew what was ahead. My first marathon I tried to run through cramps and ended up in a bad way by the end. Now I slow down so at least I can jog along.

Mile 20 to 23. Mile 21 8:34, Mile 22 7:52, Mile 23 8:17 Total time 2.51.04. Target time 2.51.03. Ok I have just hit my target time now but my mile splits at this stage are disastrous. I’m gone over the 8 min mile and to be honest I am kicking myself. It was not because of energy or dehydration but any time I would try speed up then my calf would start acting up. At mile 21 on Fosters Avenue I walked for about 20 seconds and it gave a bit of relief. Another gel at this point and some water and on I went again. My pace had well slowed down but by the end of mile 22 I was starting to run rather than jog again. This didn’t last long as another mile down then the calf muscle started cramping again. This was basically the way from this point until the end and my times tell the story.

Mile 24 to Finish. Mile 24 8:25, Mile 25 8:53, Mile 26 8:54. Lastly the last section of the run took me 9.12. This has me baffled to be honest. I understand mile 24 up to Mile 26 but the last section????? 9:12 minutes. Ok my garmin clocked it as half a mile. Always the way with a marathon. There is always more than the 26.2. But 9:12? Ok I cramped bad after turning around Trinity and needed to pull out some Biofreeze to ease the pain on a quad muscle. (Note to self. Why did I not use the bio freeze earlier. Miracle stuff I tell you.) I really don’t know why it took so long. Can’t explain. Aliens abducted me I think for a few minutes. Anyway I crossed the line in a time of 3:21:59. Chip time 3:21:37. A new PB by 50 seconds.

Update 29/10/2009. Follow up. Correction. Last half took me 4.41. Need to open my eyes. Sorry.

Am I happy with my time?? Yes absolutely. Any day you can finish a marathon is a good day. Any day you get a PB in a marathon is a great day. Ok to achieve anything more would have been brilliant but hey you have got to be happy with what happens and I think I learned more from this marathon then any of my previous 4.

Cramping is something I didn’t factor into plans at all and looking back over my schedule over the last few months I think I changed a couple of things that might not have helped. During my training this time I did a lot of track and speed work. I think this held good to me in regards to my energy and feeling good inside all the way around but what suffered was my midweek medium long runs. Also Looking at my long runs only 1 had gone over the 20 mile mark and none of my long runs had gone over the 3 hour mark. I didn’t really cop this but its great to have documented it so I can look back at it. I think next year I will add 2 20 milers and a 22 miler into my plan. Also bring back the midweek medium long runs.

Looking around the internet seems to give way too many causes for cramping and none of them definite. If anybody has any secrets that they want to pass on then please do.

Lastly thanks to the people cheering us all on. My own family were great to travel up and also some of the club mates who would appear at different points of the course really helped.

Till the next Marathon next year sometime - Bye.

Paudie

6 comments:

  1. It was great meeting you out on the course Paudie. You were certainly running very strong when I met you and I'd say you weren't very far behind over the following miles based on your splits.

    Getting cramps is tough. I've never got them in a marathon but they're always just around the corner. I took salt caps for the first time on Monday as they are supposed to prevent cramping due to lost body salts through sweating - although I don't know how true it is.

    Well done on the PB. I had the Garmin on manual lapping and pressed the lap button at mile markers. Otherwise the last mile would have done my head in with the garmin showing 26.2 and no finish line in sight.

    Certainly I think the mid-week longs runs boost endurance, that and a bit of hill work for strength should help. Rest easy and good luck in your next marathon build.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paudie, great effort to pull off a PB with very significant cramping issues. I had a very similar cramping experience, almost at the very same point you did. I had to stop at one stage and stretch my right hamstring. I am intrigued by this 'biofreeze' you speak of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed from Mallow AC here Paudie. Well done on your run, any day you finish a marathon, its a great achievement, even better to do a PB,and considering the circumstances of the cramp so early, its fantastic how well you did.

    The fast start may have been a factor in the cramps. When you find the secret to a slower start and a faster finish let me know !

    Enjoy the rest before the next marathon, Mallow 10 only around the corner. Well done to the club members who ran, all finished and with good times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on making a PB time! Great race report. I like how you broke the miles up into 4 mile segments. Do you use any kind of electrolytes? Maybe that is cause of your cramping. I have never heard of biofreeze.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all.
    Grellan you make a good point on setting the Garmen to manual lap. I'll definitely do that next year.

    biofreeze is something the physio had told me about and nearly all pharmacy’s have them. The little sachet is the best way to carry them.

    Carol you are not the first person to mention electrolytes. Something for me to try I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paudie,

    Well done. enjoy the recovery and good luck with the next marathon build...sub-3 isn't that far away!!

    Brendan

    ReplyDelete