Anyone can run 20 miles. It's the next six that count.
- Barry Magee

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Now the hard work is done.


Now the hard work is done.

The last week of training is what I consider the hardest part of training. Over the last 3 weeks my mileage would be just short of 170 miles. This time last year I would have hit higher mileage but my training last year was on the same road and the same type training every night. This year I have tried to mix it up by including track work on Tuesday nights and hill work on Saturday mornings. The question is, will this work out well for me in 3 weeks time??? Time will tell but it has made my training easier because of the variance.

On to my last week’s training. Well at the start of the week I decided to train hard for the week. The aim was to ensure my legs were a little tired for the Cork to Cobh race on Sunday as I didn’t want to race Cork to Cobh but just run at my marathon pace. So the week started with my regular six and a half miles Monday run and that was followed by a track session on Tuesday. My track session wasn’t as long as I hoped but the dark evenings are starting to come against me and there are no lights on the track. (excuse)

Wednesday was a rest evening but Thursday was a semi -long run. 11.3 miles in total and this was run at 7.16 per mile pace. Follow that on Friday with a 6.7 mile run with every second mile run at my 10k pace (6:30 per mile). Have to say I felt strong and any niggling injuries that I was carrying over the last few weeks seemed to have mostly cleared up. Just in-case I thought I was having it easy on Saturday morning I did an easy 5 miles on grass.

Now on to Sunday. Cork to Cobh 15 mile road race. I like this race. It is the longest race apart from the marathons that I know of in Ireland. It has always helped me with my confidence before the marathon. Last year my time for this race 1:46:47. I pushed myself then and it worked for me. I had a bad experience 3 weeks prior last year in the Blarney half marathon and the confidence boost from the Cork to Cobh race was great.

This year though was a different story. The plan this year was to learn to pace myself. Pick a target and stick to it. I went out with the following plan. My target Marathon pace is 7:25 per mile giving me a time of just under 3 hours 15 minutes. My plan for the 15 mile was to try run the 15 miles at 7:20 per mile. Well after a 2 mile warm up Sunday morning I lined up along with approximately 800 other runners. After the usual announcements before the start of the race the race got underway. A steep downhill is how it started so it was a case of watching my footing to make sure I didn’t trip over anybody. On wards we go and one of my club mates Patryk ended up running beside me from around the 1 mile mark. I hit the first mile at 7:08 so it was time to readjust. Luckily Patryk was running the same pace as me so by mile 2 we had settled and mile 2 has slowed to 7:12. From there on we averaged between 7:13 and 7:22. I felt very comfortable at all times and myself and Patryk were able to have the odd few words as we ran. By the end of the race I felt there was more to give. What I found hardest was holding back in the first 10 miles. Anyway taking the weeks training into account and holding back my time was 1:49:40. Almost 3 minutes slower than last year but a totally different feeling this year. I feel that 3 hours 15 is very realistic at the moment. (Avoiding injury or the flu)

Now the tapering starts. My weekly mileage this week is 40 miles. That is a drop of 15 miles from last week. Last night was an easy 5 mile recovery and tonight I ran my weekly track session which I plan to be the last one before the marathon. Tonight’s session went very well with 10 x 800meters all under 3:10 each. Rest tomorrow night (Wed). Next week is a 25 mile week and my last week will be around 10-15. In some ways I like the tapering period but the thought of getting injured or getting sick always plays on the mind. I am a big believer in what you eat in the last 10 days will be what makes or breaks a marathon. More about that in my last blog the week before the marathon.

That’s all for now and last blog in 2 weeks time.

Cork to Cobh times.

1: 7:08
2: 7:12
3: 7:14
4: 7:15
5: 7:19
6: 7:14
7: 7:13
8: 7:22
9: 7:21
10: 7:06
11: 7:17
12: 7:21
13: 7:05
14: 7:19
15: 7:07

Now the hard work is done.

6 comments:

  1. Paudie, well done on a disciplined approach to the Cork to Cobh. Sounds like you are in good shape for Dublin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice job on Sunday. Enjoy the taper - as you said the hard work is done now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Westley. Feel good now. Sooner the 26th comes the better

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Brendon, Do you wish you were doing the marathon at this stage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes.... but I'd like to avoid 6 months of injury from a running a marathon without the necessary training!! I must be getting sensible in my old age...

    I'll just have to watch it on TV and dream!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very controlled run on Sunday Paudie. Well done. I'd be interested to hear about your 10 day pre-marathon nutrition programme. Enjoy the taper - although I think I'll go for one more long run in this weekend.

    ReplyDelete